Most Americans simply do not get the rest that they need. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that over 30 percent of adults in the U.S. get six hours or less of sleep each night. The recommendation for working adults is 7-9 hours. Lack of sleep is a result of many factors—stress, illness, and simply not having enough hours to get everything done and keep a reasonable bedtime. Not getting enough sleep, however, is not something to be taken lightly. An estimated $2,280 per worker is lost in productivity annually as a direct result of sleep deprivation. Lack of rest also leads to higher instances of illness and has been linked to higher rates of obesity.
Whatever your reason for not getting the amount of sleep you deserve and need, try these six tips for improvement:
1. Exercise during the day. Fitting in even 20 minutes of a moderate workout each day will make a difference in how soundly you sleep at night. Not only will a fitness routine wear you down, but it will lower your stress levels and enable you a more peaceful night’s rest.
2. Implement a bedtime routine. One of the first tips that baby experts give to new parents that want to improve the sleep of their newborns is to put a bedtime routine in place. This may include a warm bath, story time, or listening to lullabies. These same concepts also make sense on an adult level. Give yourself a bedtime and put a routine in place working backward. Try your best to start your routine at the same time every night, even when you do not have work the next day, to let your body know that it is almost time for sleep.
3. Create bedroom harmony. You may not realize it, but the way that your bedroom is laid out may be causing your anxiety. Visit bed stores in Los Angeles and look for ways to calm the mood of your bedroom. Ridding the room of clutter and having a well-organized closet are just two ways to bring serenity into your sleeping space.
4. Get a new mattress. If you have owned the same mattress for over seven years, it is time to look for another one. Other signs that it may be time for an upgrade include body stiffness upon waking and visible lumping or wear in the mattress. Shop around for one that best fits your wants. In recent years, the organic mattress industry has really expanded so you may want to start there. Remember that spending a little more upfront will pay off over several years of restful sleep.
5. Be comfortable. Turn your bed into an oasis by buying soft bedding and pillows that you prefer. You may also want to take a look at your sleepwear and decide if it is time to replace it. Make your bed a place that you never want to leave in order to encourage more relaxation and sleep.
Drown out sound. Even small sounds in the night can wake you without you realizing it. Find something to use as a buffer in the form of white noise. A floor fan may do the trick, or a sound machine specifically made for sleep is another good option. The monotonous sound will lull you to sleep.
Tags: bed stores in Los Angeles, Steps to a Better Night’s Sleep
This entry was posted by Best Blogger on Friday, February 8th, 2013 at 3:50 pm and is filed under
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.